Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I Am Going to the ACRC Conference

Well I am back in the blogging business. I am sorry to all you faithful readers who have missed my blogging as of late. I can't really explain how or why, but I just haven't had it in me lately. But I have decided after hearing some people tell me that they've missed it that I should go ahead and blog again. Please, please hold your applause.

Anyway, tomorrow I fly out to Little Rock, Arkansas to go to the third annual conference of the Association of Charismatic Reformed Churches (ACRC). I went last year and had a great time, got to know some great people, and learned a lot about how to be both a calvinist and a continuationist at the same time. Naturally I am looking forward to going again.

Another reason why I am excited is because there will be an important vote at the association business meeting on Friday. We will vote on an amendment to our statement of faith to strengthen our commitment to the traditional protestant and reformed view of justification. With competing viewpoints even within the reformed camp (e.g. Federal Vision, New Perspective on Paul), many in the ACRC feel that it's important to set forth our conviction of the imputation of the righteousness of Christ to the believer (we will probably not be so specific as to the question of the imputation of the active and passive righteousness). I expect the amendment to pass with flying colors but it's still an important moment for the association I think.

The main topic of the conference however will be world missions. It is providential that I am going to this "missions" conference while at the same time reading about how the Vineyard has approached missions in Bill Jackson's book The Quest for the Radical Middle. Also, reformed folks like me are often caricatured as being uninterested in missions because of how we view the sovereignty of God, predestination, etc.

Anywho, if I get time (and access to the internet), I'll try to blog about the conference while it's going on. Stay tuned...

-Christian

2 comments:

Jonathan Chan said...

It's so GOOD to hear from you again.. I hope to hear some good things from the conference.

Luke Geraty said...

Christian,

Tomorrow is the big day. I'm already here (staying at Kirk's house) and I plan on wrestling you down to the ground and giving you a noogie.

Okay, maybe I won't actually do that. If you are looking for me, I'm the guy with the sweet looking mohawk.

Kirk is the coolest.

Regarding the vote... I'm not sure you and I are voting the same way :)