Friday, June 13, 2008

The Advantages and Dangers of the Middle Ground

One of the things I've been reflecting on lately is the concept of the "middle ground". In a nutshell, it is a position that attempts to adhere to the strengths of two diametrically opposed positions while throwing out the weaknesses. Many times, such a position will reject the "tyranny of the 'or'" in favor of the "genius of the 'and'".

For example, traditional Evangelicalism is the "middle ground" between Fundamentalism and Liberalism. It was believed by the first Evangelicals during the 1940s that Fundamentalism had an orthodox theology but was poor at engaging the culture effectively. Conversely, Liberal Theology was good at engaging the culture, but did not have an orthodox theology (obviously!). Thus Evangelicalism is the "middle ground", attempting to have an orthodox theology while at the same time engaging the culture effectively.

In many cases, such a "middle ground" has an almost romantic feel to it. It makes one feel wise and balanced. Indeed, sometimes that is a good thing. We need wisdom and balance. Many times, two opposite positions will over-emphasize one thing to the exclusion of another while the other position over-emphasizes what the other de-emphasizes.

One distinct disadvantage though is that holding such a middle position opens one up to being shot at from both sides. Case in point: I would hold to a position that is consistent with New Covenant Theology. On one hand, I appreciate the contributions of both Dispensationalism and Covenant Theology and try to hold them in tension and make adjustments where necessary. On the other hand, New Covenant Theologians are criticized by both camps because we disagree with hallmarks of their respective theologies.

As I said before, sometimes a middle ground position is a good thing. It helps us to balance two equally true truths and hold them in tension. But just because it is a middle ground position does not make it true.

For example, I believe in a literal hell. It is eternal, it is conscious, and it will be terrifying beyond description for those whose fate it will ultimately be. Those who never place faith in the Lord Jesus Christ to rescue them from their sins will suffer God's righteous and just anger and wrath there. The opposite position is that of Universalism. This view believes that all human beings (and the devil and demons too in some cases) will ultimately be restored to God and finally saved. However, there is a "middle ground" position. That of Annihilationism. According to this view, those who are ultimately unsaved will simply cease to exist, either after suffering God's wrath for a time or in some cases immediately upon death.

Well that sounds like a reasonable, and balanced view now doesn't it. There's just one problem. It's not true! Scripture repeatedly affirms the eternality of hell (Matthew 25:41,46;Mark 9:43-48; 2 Peter 2:17). So then, the "middle ground" position isn't always the truth.

What then shall we do? I would suggest a few things:

1) It is a good idea to seriously consider the middle ground position because often (though not always) it does succeed in holding in balance two truths emphasized respectively by opposite positions. I believe the Charismatic Reformed tradition is a good case in point.

2) However, truth is truth whether or not it is the middle ground. On occasion, like the example of eternal punishment, one position is true while the other position and the middle position are untrue.

3) We should always talk about our positions with others in a spirit of humility, love, and consideration.

4) Try to understand where the other person whose position you disagree with is coming from. Speak the truth of what you believe in their language as it were. You might find you're making some progress.

5) Recognize that you could be wrong. Be humble enough to change your position and make the necessary (and sometimes painfully uncomfortable) changes in your life.

Well I hope this makes for some interesting food for thought.

-Christian

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading through your blog.. Wow.. Great stuff. Especially your story about coming to be reformed Vineyard..

I grew up in the Vineyard movement.. I live about 30 mins away from the Anaheim Vineyard and I've heard Wimber speak a couple times when I was young. Vineyard is my home.

During High School, I felt a calling to ministry and so I went looking for a Bible College.. I ended up in Life Pacific College (Foursquare Bible College). The education there is pretty good..

Last year, I met a friend at Life who was reformed.. We had some great conversation over coffee for about 3 months.. Finally, I decided to do the work and read up on reformed theology..

I finally adopted the reformed view.. But for a while I felt like I was the only Reformed Vineyard guy in the area... It seems like it is a rare breed.. But it's good to know there are others out there.

I don't know if you've read Bill Jackson's book "The Quest for the Radical Middle." In that book, he hints towards Vineyard's reformed roots in one of the chapters. I could be reading into it.. but yeah.. Anyways, I'd love to talk to you more.. Come shoot me an email sometime

Jonathanhochan@gmail.com

Christian Edmiston said...

Jonathan,

Thanks for the comments! Yeah guys like us are rare, but I dare say we're growing. There's another Reformed Vineyard guy out in Indiana. He's the pastor of a Vineyard church out there.

I haven't read Bill Jackson's book yet but it's definetely on my things to do list. That and Rich Nathan's book "Empowered Evangelicals".

I'd also love to talk more. I'll e-mail you soon.

-Christian

Luke Geraty said...

Excellent article. Holding truths in tension is often difficult within the realm of exegetical theology, specifically in reference to the two prominent views within Protestant Theology (Dispensationalism and Covenant Theology). New Covenant Theology is certainly quite appealing!

I'd like to restate Jonathon's statement: read The Quest for the Radical Middle! Classic Vineyard history. Empowered Evangelicals is also an excellent book. Reformed & Vineyard... home sweet home.

Anyway... I appreciated your article. It had some solid suggestions! Thanks!

Christian Edmiston said...

Thank you very much Luke. I'm glad you're enjoying it, and even more glad I'm finally getting some comments! It lets me know people are reading.

I will definetely be reading those two books. I'm about half-way finished with "The Word and Power Church" by Doug Banister. That's a great book so far!

Eugenio Maltez said...

Hi Guys, I am a Vineyard Pastor from Managua, Nicaragua, and also I consider myself as a Reform and Vineyard guy, please put me in contact with another Vineyard Pastors like me.

Eugenio Maltez
Senior Pastor
LA VIÑA Comunidad Cristiana
Managua, Nicaragua
eugeniomaltez@yahoo.com
www.vineyardnicaragua.org